Yes! Finally, your dream roof is in the garden. That means extended enjoyment of outdoor life. A roof is not a purchase made on a whim. That’s why you’d want to keep it beautiful and clean for as long as possible. But how much maintenance does your veranda actually require, and what’s the best way to clean it? We’ll explain!
How often you need to clean your patio cover depends on where it is located. Logically, you will have to take care of a canopy that is located in a wooded area more often than one that is located in the city.
To make cleaning your canopy as easy as possible, we divide it into three groups:
- The gutter
- The frame
- The roof
Cleaning the gutter
This part will be familiar to many, as you also have to do this at your home. It is necessary to regularly remove twigs, leaves, moss and other dirt from the gutter. If you do not do this for a longer period of time, the gutter will become clogged and rainwater will no longer be able to drain (properly).
Cleaning the frame
This part won’t take you much time. Simply cleaning the frame with a cloth and lukewarm water is sufficient. If you do this regularly (at least twice a year), the canopy will certainly last longer.
Cleaning the roof
Cleaning the roof is the most difficult job. In most cases it is difficult to reach and you will need a ladder or stairs. When cleaning the roof, we distinguish between a plastic and glass roof.
· Cleaning plastic roof
Patio covers with a plastic roof are extremely popular. This is because you always have a view outside, but of course you want to keep that. That is why it is important that you clean it regularly. There is one thing you absolutely should not do and that is stand or walk on the roof. So you will have to find another way to access it. A ladder may get you a long way and there are brushes available with a telescopic handle, allowing you to reach everything.
Found a way? Nice! You can clean your plastic canopy using these steps:
- First, rinse the dirt off the roof with a garden hose. If you skip this and start scrubbing immediately, you will create scratches and you obviously don’t want that.
- After the dirt has been removed, scrub the canopy clean with a soft sponge or brush and lukewarm water with a mild detergent.
- If you continue to see green deposits or black streaks, remove them with special cleaning products. We have described later in the text which cleaning products are best to use.
- Finally, rinse the canopy again and then let it dry.
· Cleaning glass roof
Cleaning a glass roof is the same as cleaning your windows. Here too, you must first rinse everything thoroughly with clean water, so that all dirt disappears and no scratches occur on the glass. Then clean the glass with soapy water and cleaning agent. Finally, dry the glass with a squeegee and chamois.
Which cleaning products can you use?
Various products are suitable for cleaning your canopy. Below is a list of the most famous cleaning products:
– Water and soap
In principle, this is the best way to clean your patio cover. Make sure you always use mild soap so that the paint is not damaged.
– Cleaning vinegar
In general, you can use this product to clean your canopy. However, cleaning does not have the correct effect on all types of roofs. Therefore, first ask the supplier whether this can cause harm.
– Cleaning paste
Thanks to a cleaning paste you can quickly get rid of those annoying black smudges. All you have to do is coat the wipes with the paste. Finally, clean the entire surface with soap and water. Do not leave black streaks for too long. This dirt cakes quickly and will eventually penetrate into the canopy. Of course you want to prevent that.
– Green tarnish remover
If you suffer from green deposits on your roof, the easiest way to combat this is with green deposit remover. You usually have to mix this product with water. It is also important that you clean green deposits in time, otherwise they can also penetrate the canopy.
You absolutely shouldn’t do this!
It is important that you clean your canopy correctly. In fact, it can cause irreparable damage if you do it wrong! So read the following carefully and prevent damage:
– Do not use abrasive substances such as scouring pads. These affect the paint layer of the canopy.
– In addition to scouring pads, abrasive, caustic or aggressive cleaning agents are also a no-go. These also affect the paint. So leave the gasoline and spirits in the cupboard.
– Do not use a high-pressure cleaner. Your canopy can be damaged if water is sprayed on it with (too) high force. Therefore, it is better to choose the garden hose.
So, now you have all the knowledge you need to clean your garden canopy in a responsible manner. If you do this regularly and correctly, you are guaranteed to enjoy it for a long time. Good luck!